Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Does it really matter?

The Little Prince is one of my favorite books. Here's one reason: it's a line the Little Prince blurts out in one of his conversations with the narrator.

"I know a planet where there is a certain red-faced gentleman. He has never smelled a flower. He has never looked at a star. He has never loved any one. He has never done anything in his life but add up figures. And all day he says over and over, just like you: 'I am busy with matters of consequence!' And that makes him swell up with pride. But he is not a man--he is a mushroom!"

This little quip makes me laugh. Call me a mushroom! I can almost hear myself saying, "Don't bug me! I am busy with matters of consequence!!" But I know for a fact that I have a tendency to fill my days with things that don't matter.

One of man's downfalls is our enchantment with the ephemeral rather than the eternal. While we live in a reality which is made up of fleeting moments, we should not live for it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

parang ako rin yan ah! haaay...so many things to do.but never really doing what matters most... http://alternativenika.blogspot.com

slither dude said...

yesh baby. amen Ü

polaris said...

hi nika. yup--i need to remember everyday that God has ordained for me something that does matter through the Gospel.

thanks slither. nice to "see" you.

K said...

Happy Belated Valentines.

I'm such a transient, I move from one place to another.

sillyserious said...

*ouch* wouldn't u know it, mushrooms have feelings too! haha! and this one felt the sting ;) oh for grace to ever set eternity before us...

polaris said...

huy knoizki! oonga! always on the move...hehe.

polaris said...

aleks--hehe, ill never view mushrooms the same again!