Thursday, July 20, 2006

Compelled

I'm contemplating the fact that there is only one provider of high speed internet in my neighborhood, and the price is such a scam; the penalty for not living near the phone company headquarters. Looks like I will have to postpone the decision to switch to DSL until one of the major providers decide they want to give our humble cul de sac some attention.

In the meantime, my 56k modem churns happily, having its life extended for an unknown amount of time. It remains to be a built-in mechanism in my home computer that prohibits me from adding more time to my internet consumption post-daily grind hours. So maybe it's a good thing.

It's a good thing because recently, trying to figure out how to make best use of my seconds in eternity have been mentally front and center for me. I can attest--"so much to do, so little time" is the subtle mantra of worried minds. I've been trying to focus how to buy more time, planning out my days, weeks, months, and how I can do tasks more efficiently, and yes, that includes switching to high speed internet. However, while the practical changes in schedule have been helpful and contributes towards priorities, the increase in productivity is marginal. Hmmm.

Enter CH Spurgeon who puts the hardworking ant and the busy bee to shame. He probably directed at least 5 institutions, lectured and preached weekly, wrote for a monthly magazine, had time to write to friends, and was sick most of the time at that. I may be wrong, but I think we similarly had 24 hours to a day. Compared to him, however, my life seems like a walk in the clouds...er...beach.

What's the difference? Maybe he packed more stuff in his day, or only needed two hours of sleep. Yet Steve Miller makes a strong argument against this. He says that the difference is in Spurgeon's passion. He was not just driven to excellence or results. Spurgeon's joyful, persevering service was compelled by his knowledge and experience of Christ's love.

James Douglas (quoted by Miller) said that the minister "served much because he loved much. Love oiled the wheels of his activities, gave spontaneity to duty; and made the post of servitude to Christ one of blessed emancipation."*

Worry will not add hours to my day, nor does the best worked out plan. A passion to serve God compelled by no less than His love will propel the most weary of hearts, minds, and souls. Strength rooted not in well projected steps but in a steadfast trust in God's goodness and sovereignty will help me make the most of the hours I do have.

As Spurgeon notes, the writer of 2 Corinthians 5:14 says matter-of-factly, "for the love of Christ compels us." So the question is not how much can I accomplish, but am I really comprehending how much Christ has accomplished on my behalf?

* Miller, Steve. "CH Spurgeon on Spiritual Leadership"; p.101.

2 comments:

sillyserious said...

true, true. welcome back, polaris. refreshing to read you again :)

while waiting for a friend last night, i was listening to steven curtis chapman's "magnificent obsession". a few lines that stuck like bebelgam (hihi) -

"cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things;
let all my dreams fall to the ground until this one remains:

You are everything I want
You are everything I need
I want You to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession."

polaris said...

i like that song...especially the phrase "magnificent obsession. thanks for passing by aleks. :)